[Closed, Mature] I will not ask you

Open for Play
The Muluku Isles are an archipelago that contain the major trade ports of Mugroba and serves as the go-between for the spice trade. Laos Oma is the major port and Old Rose Harbor's sister city.

Aremu Ediwo
Topics: 24
Race: Passive
: A pirate full of corpses
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: moralhazard
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:15 pm

Noon, Hamis 32, 2720
Aposadi’opib’oqaw, Laus Oma
Aurelie had gone past the animals, and she had smiled, and there had been something on her face that had gone straight to the heart of him. Aremu had swallowed through the ache of it, and he hadn’t gone over, after all, to tell her the names of them. Perhaps she wouldn’t have wanted him to; she didn’t linger, as she had at the other displays, but went promptly to the threads, looking at all the different colors and types.

“Take as long as you like,” Aremu said, when Aurelie asked. She was frowning, very intently, looking down at the array of threads, her eyes skimming over back and forth. In the end, she did choose, a small assortment of different colors; she lay them carefully one after another on the counter, along with what looked to Aremu like a hoop.

The dura shifted, and counted the threads out, one after another, dividing them into piles. She glanced back up at Aremu. “Does she speak Mugrobi?” She asked, looking at Aurelie.

“No, she doesn’t,” Aremu answered.

The dura shifted, looking at Aurelie. “This,” she said in halting Estuan, touching the first group, “one more. This,” she touched the second group, “one more. Less price.” She glanced back up at Aremu.

Aremu raised his eyebrows at her.

“She has two types,” The dura explained in quick, fluent Mugrobi, “and I can offer a sale on each – one more of each type would be only half price.”

“She says to get one more color of each,” Aremu translated, or at least closely enough, smiling at Aurelie. “There’s a sale.”

Once Aurelie had made the last of her choices, Aremu handed over the coin; the Mugrobi bundled everything up in a small drawstring bag, which she handed over to Aurelie. Aremu thanked her with a little grin; she grinned back.

Aremu held the door for Aurelie as they went back outside. They went back past the little cafes, back onto the larger, shady street, making their way deeper into Aposadi’opib’oqaw. He had gone, Aremu thought, the way he knew. All the same, it was with a rush of relief that they made it past Tsadha’s house, with no sign of her; he had not the least idea what he’d expected or what he feared, but it was thoroughly a relief.

“What would you serve?” Aremu asked, suddenly, as they went single file around a large bush studded with dramatic purple flowers. “In your café, I mean,” he smiled down at Aurelie, softly. “If you had one.”

They weren’t alone on the street, not by any means; foot traffic was light, much lighter than it had been on the larger boulevards, and only a few carriages rolled past, with even fewer of the rougher wagons. There was foot traffic: a slender arata brushed past them, clairvoyant field buzzing with agitation; two human girls, elegantly dressed and dripping with gold, giggled to each other the entire time they passed them; another imbala, smartly dressed in an Anaxi-style suit, hurried past them with a case beneath his arm, lips moving silently as if making some rehearsal to himself.

“Aremu!” A carriage rolled to a stop next to them; two elegant moa fluffed their shorn tails, and a coachman in neat tan livery sat on the top. The door came flying open, and Tsadha herself came down the two steps, her eyes bright.

She looked, Aremu thought, a little uneasily, as lovely as ever; she wore all bright purple silk, a long, elegant flared tunic, over neatly tailored pants, with bright red lip color and gleaming eyeshadow, with little gold drops in her ears peeking out beneath an elaborate headwrap. She was just a little taller than Aurelie, and she looked as fresh as if she had just woken up and dressed, though he knew she was in the habit of rising early.

“I didn’t know you were back from Thul Ka!” Tsadha was smiling, her eyes bright. “You should have sent a note,” she giggled. “Or are you tired – oh,” she turned to Aurelie, as if seeing her for the first time. “Another of your Anaxi friends?” She smiled at Aurelie. “Hello!” She bowed, politely.

“Aurelie,” Aremu said, slowly, with the odd feeling of being in a nightmare, “this is Tsadha pezre Marza. Tsadha, this is Aurelie.”

Tags:
Aurelie Steerpike
Topics: 25
: Deeply Awkward Mom Friend
Plot Notes: Plot Notes & Thread Tracker
Writer: Cap O' Rushes

Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:10 am

Hamis 32, 2720 - Afternoon | Aposadi’opib’oqaw, Laus Oma
Without quite realizing it, Aurelie had left the shop with a small selection of items. She had meant to show restraint—she had really tried. It reassured her only slightly that she fully intended to make something for Aremu with it; it wasn't likely to be a very good something, supplies or no. She had even gotten more than she'd picked out, because there had been a sale. Aurelie had thanked the shopkeeper, who had smiled at her; she didn't know quite what to make of the looks exchanged between the two Mugrobi. Aurelie resolved rather staunchly not to think of it just now.

The worst part of it was that she really was very happy with it all. She couldn't find too much of herself to be ashamed of so blatantly taking advantage of Aremu's generosity. Not immediately, anyway. She clutched the drawstring bag in one hand and thought of the patterns she could try now from one of the books. She had never in her life had so much opportunity to try; the idea was almost dizzying.

Their path then took them a little way back the way they had come, or so it seemed to her. She had to admit that as lovely as all the streets were, as interesting and as much as she tried to observe her surroundings—if she were to try to get back to the main street, let alone the ferry, without Aremu there... Well, it was good that she wouldn't have to, because she didn't think she could manage.

His question, when it came, surprised her; she had forgotten she'd even mentioned such a silly thing. It was just a daydream, she almost said, and brushed it off. But he knew that; surely he knew that. There was no version of herself, no even one that was whole, where she could have had such a thing.

"O-oh, well. Ah." He wouldn't laugh, would he? Aurelie didn't think so; he'd not laughed at her yet for half of the absurd things that came tripping off her tongue. Not unkindly, at least. Or, if it was unkind, she didn't know how to recognize him being so, and he had not made it more clear. And that was the same as kindness in the end, she thought. "W-well, it depends on when you ask me, really. B-because it's, ah. Not real, of course. Just a... a silly little—oh pardon me."

Aurelie had nearly stumbled into a man in an Anaxi-style suit. Her apology seemed to go unheard, but she didn't think that mattered much. She cleared her throat and continued. "Sandwiches and the like, I think—nice, comfortable things. Uhm. But I'd make the bread." Oh, it felt tremendously silly to say all of this out loud. She didn't think she had before, not in such detail. It was a little bit fun, to talk about it, even if she felt ridiculous. "Although sometimes I think a bakery might be more the thing. Like the recipes I sent, I—"

Aurelie had just started to warm to the subject, and had very nearly reached for Aremu's hand again despite the crowd, despite her unease with such a public display of her ridiculous affection, when a carriage rolled to a stop next to them. Aremu's name came from it, and then the speaker.

A very pretty speaker, Aurelie noticed that first off. Elegant and bright, done up in a way that was obvious without being overbearing. She felt immediately smaller, and she didn't know quite why. It wasn't the feeling she got from Niccolette; it was rather closer to the feeling she got from her sister, although that was different in many ways too. Her hand had reached just a little way out; Aurelie pulled it back and folded it over the one that held her little bag of thread.

"Ah, hello, uhm." Aurelie bowed, deeply and politely; automatically, years of habit taking over where her mind had stumbled. She didn't know why it bothered her that Aremu had given only her first name, and had left off the Steerpike. She had said, when they first met—and it wasn't as if— She had no claim to the name, she didn't think; not after... everything. It still felt strange, to be introduced so simply by given name to this beautiful stranger. "Lovely to meet you."

Something was odd, and Aurelie didn't know what it was. She looked from Tsadha, purple and gold, and then with a small, confused smile up to Aremu. Another? she wanted to ask. Aurelie didn't think Aremu was so similarly afflicted with friendlessness as she was. But she was struck by it, as it had yet to come up. Not even once, Aurelie thought uneasily. Perhaps that was meaningless. And, a little part of her insisted, maybe it wasn't.
Aremu Ediwo

Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:32 am

Mid Afternoon, Hamis 32, 2720
Aposadi’opib’oqaw, Laus Oma
Tsadha came a step closer; Aremu saw the moment when she was close enough. Her large eyes widened, just a fraction; she looked at Aurelie, and then back at Aremu, her delicate eyebrows lifting. Then she turned back to Aurelie, and she smiled, brightly. “Lovely to meet you as well!” Tsadha said, cheerfully.

Aremu was frowning; he knew he was frowning. He felt it down the center of his forehead, and in the corners of his mouth.

“He’s always so serious, isn’t he?” Tsadha was saying, smiling at Aurelie. “One has to work so hard just to get him to smile!" She giggled, looking back at Aremu. "Where are you two headed?”

“Arip’dzoqiq Street,” Aremu said, after a moment, glancing at Aurelie and then back at Tsadha.

Tsadha clapped her hands together, delightedly; the little gold rings she wore clicked very softly against each other. Two were thin gold; two others were set with stones. “Oh, so am I! I have a fitting with Ada’na Filene. Why don’t you two ride with me? We shall have to go the long way – they’re still doing repairs on Dzor, and traffic backs up for ages – but it’ll be much nicer than walking.”

No, Aremu wanted to say; not now, Tsadha, thanks; it’s nice of you to offer, but I think we’ll walk. Tsadha was smiling up at her, her eyelashes a little lowered. There was, he told himself, nothing strange here; Tsadha was someone he was fond of, but she was married, and he didn’t think she had any expectations of fidelity on his part. And Aurelie?

He had put this conversation off, Aremu thought, with a sinking feeling, because he hadn’t wanted to – he didn’t know how to – it felt, Aremu thought, as if he’d been running along the edges of buildings, up and down, finding his way over rooftops and along corridors, and suddenly he’d come to a complete stop, teetering on the edge of a long drop, all his momentum turned against him.

“Sure,” he found himself saying. “Thank you.”

Tsadha’s bright smile had dimmed, just a little, in the moment of silence. She blinked, once, and then found it again. Aremu thought with a mental sort of wince of the apologies he’d offered for refusing to go with her last Dzum’ulusa, all her sulking and all his groveling, all of it not quite too unpleasant, but unpleasant all the same.

The carriage was lovely, spacious and comfortable inside. Tsadha plucked an enormous teddy bear off the opposite seat, beaming down at it. “Mitadhe, my little boy, came on a trip with me yesterday,” she said with a giggle, setting the toy off to the side, her smooth, uncallused hands folded in her lap. She smiled at Aurelie, politely, and then up at Aremu; there was, he thought uncomfortably, a good deal in her eyes which he did not want to see, just then.

“Will you be terribly busy much longer?” Tsadha asked, smiling at Aremu. “I haven’t seen you properly in ages, Aremu! It’s been since Bethas, really.”

“Ah,” Aremu said, shifting a little on the seat; his left hand was on his lap, and his right tucked against the edge of his thigh, between the curve of it and the fabric of the bench. The wheels were moving beneath them, the coach pulling steadily down the street. “I’m not sure, Tsadha, ah…” he tried for a smile, and didn’t think it worked very well.

Aurelie Steerpike

Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:03 am

Hamis 32, 2720 - Afternoon | Aposadi’opib’oqaw, Laus Oma
Tsadha knew her for what she was, and Aurelie could see the moment that was so. She didn't know why that bothered her. It shouldn't have; it didn't matter so much, here. She wasn't in her drab little uniform at least. Her tunic was a bright, sunny yellow; Aurelie liked it rather a lot. It was a nice color. She wasn't sure if it was one that looked well on her, but she was fond of it.

There was no point in wondering if it looked well on her or not, anyway. If she hadn't had the bag in her hands, she would have pushed them into her pockets. As it was, she held them in front of her, stiff and neat. Her mouth was curved into a smile; she could feel it there. Tsadha, Aurelie thought, seemed very nice.

"It's true," she agreed easily enough. Aremu was rather serious most of the time. She liked that about him, she wanted to say. She didn't think she needed to defend the quality, the way Tsadha smiled when she said it. She had stopped, after all, and called out his name. Aurelie's weight shifted uneasily from one foot to the other.

When she clapped, Aurelie could hear the soft click of rings. Her hands were pretty as the rest of her. Like Ana's, Aurelie thought. Not at all like hers. Very nice, Aurelie thought again. And it was a nice offer, even though she was enjoying the walk rather a lot actually. She liked the exercise, and it was a nice day, and she had never been to the city before, after all. Aurelie wanted to decline. Politely, but decline all the same. That wasn't her decision, though. If Aremu wanted—

Sure, he said, and he thanked her. So that was that. There had been a moment of silence; it had given Aurelie plenty of time to look at Tsadha's face, and the way she looked up at Aremu also. Ah. She didn't want to take this ride, but it had already been agreed to. "That is very kind of you, thank you."

So they left off their walk, and they climbed into Tsadha's spacious carriage. It was very comfortable, perhaps more so than the walk would have been. Aurelie's eyes had just alighted on the teddy bear when it was moved, set off to the side. The mention of her son hit Aurelie like a blow, not the first, and there was no reason for it. No reason at all, not any that made sense. Aurelie had tucked herself into her seat very carefully and politely. Her back was straight, her posture neat, if not commanding of any attention whatsoever. If anything, it made her seem smaller.

The bag was set on her lap. Aurelie's eyes dropped to Tsadha's hands again, and she folded her own with the bag on top of them. The bottom hand curled into a fist, her nails not quite long enough, yet, to dig into her palm. She hadn't been biting them as much lately, but it hadn't been enough time for them to grow out. Somehow, she didn't think she would keep this up for much longer.

Aurelie looked to Aremu's face, wondering—she thought... She was rather unfortunately certain she knew what had been strange outside. Or she had a guess, and she didn't like her guess. She didn't like anything about this, really. When Tsadha asked if he would be busy for much longer, Aurelie found herself wondering the same thing. She looked at him, and she thought—he would say he would be, wouldn't he? After all, regardless of anything else, she couldn't exactly leave without him.

Ah, he said. And then I'm not sure. Aurelie was still smiling. That, she thought, she didn't know what to do with. She wanted to tell him not to worry on her account. If he wanted to... to spend time with Tsadha, that was fine. At least, she wanted to say so. But she couldn't. An anchor, a stone in his pocket that he had to carry whether he wanted to or not. Aurelie blinked, and she turned to look at Tsadha with a polite, apologetic smile.

"I'm terribly sorry, I, ah... I don't know the city at all, you see. I'm afraid he has to—to babysit me today." She was sorry. Wretchedly so. Her fingers tightened in her lap, mostly obscured by the bag.

"How old is he?" Aurelie asked, trying again to smile. To smile more, that is. Properly. She didn't know why it felt so hard just now. "M-Mitadhe, I mean. If you don't mind my asking...?"
Aremu Ediwo

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:55 am

In a Private Carriage, Laus Oma
He has to babysit me today, Aurelie said, with the tightest, most polite smile Aremu had ever seen on her face. Aremu felt it like a blow.

Not today, he wanted to say - she didn’t - I didn’t - I didn’t think - she meant in the next few weeks, she meant - I meant...

He had, Aremu thought, missed his chance. He didn’t know what was on his face; he didn’t think it was a smile. He shouldn’t have accepted the ride, he knew, with a sinking feeling through the pit of his stomach. Stop, he imagined saying to Tsadha, here on the roadside; stop, we need to get off. Stop, I’m not ready for this, after all.

Tsadha accepted Aurelie’s comment with a bright little giggle.

Aremu shifted the bag against his shoulder.

“He’s four and a half,” Tsadha said, warm pride filling her voice. She was beaming. Whatever problems she had with her husband, Aremu thought, he had never see her be anything less than devoted to Mitadhe. She adored him, Aremu knew.

“He’s such a bright little boy too,” Tsadha was saying, happily. “The teddy bear was a gift from his grandmother,” she plucked it back out. “Look, it has a little sailor’s uniform.” She showed Aurelie the little pleats of fabric around the neck and the hat.

“He says he wants to be the captain of a ship when he grows up,” Tsadha was giggling now, “but I think - well I am not sure he fully understands what his father does. I’m sure when he is older he shall want to be a businessman!” She looked down fondly at the teddy bear once more, tucking it back away.

She had, Aremu thought, an islands accent, but not one he thought Aurelie would have heard before. Her vowels were long, but all her speech was elegant and precise, and her Estuan flawless, if Mugrobi. She had, Aremu knew, done three years at Thul’Amat, at Ared’ur; he tried sometimes to imagine it, and he couldn’t, not quite.

“Are you enjoying Laus Oma so far?” Tsadha asked Aurelie, smiling still. “It must be very different from what you are used to. I grew up here and I thought even Thul Ka was so strange!” She giggled again.

Aremu knew he ought to say something; he couldn’t think of what. He couldn’t think of where to begin; he couldn’t find a single word that seemed the right starting place. Anything beyond that seemed to slip and slide out of his reach, swarming away; his head ached, fiercely, and despite the strangeness of it, he kept the hat on in the carriage.

He didn’t, Aremu thought, want Tsadha to see the bandage; he couldn’t have said why, at first. He didn’t want to bother her with it, he supposed, and it was true enough, but - he didn’t want her concern, either, not just now. He didn’t want to deal with it.

It isn’t like that, Aremu wanted to say to Aurelie, absurdly, between us. He didn’t know if she cared, he reminded himself, not really. The smile on her face might have been painted on, and he tried to ignore the sinking ache in his stomach.

Aurelie Steerpike

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:03 pm

Hamis 32, 2720 - Afternoon | A Private Carriage, Laus Oma
There was such warmth in Tsadha’s voice when she spoke of her son. Aurelie felt a little swept up in it, even as the pit of her dropped somewhere near her ankles and thought that she might like to climb through the window and roll into the street. She smiled, some warmth creeping in around all the politeness, and she leaned forward to inspect the teddy bear as offered.

”What a sweet little uniform!” And it was, too. It was a very cute present. She couldn’t picture the boy, really, with only a name and an age to go on. But the hat and collar were pleated, and it was well-made. Could it ever be loved to shabbiness, though? The thought came to her unbidden and unwanted.

Aurelie nodded as the bear was tucked away; she sat back in her seat. Aremu had said nothing. Aurelie didn’t know why that was significant, but it seemed to her that it was so. ”Children often change their minds,” she agreed, with an incline of her head. ”I wanted to be many things, when I was that age.” Whatever she had wanted to be at four, she wanted to say, or five, or six, or any age—it didn’t matter, in the end. Because she was what she was.

Tsadha giggled quite a lot. She seemed a cheerful sort of person. Or perhaps that was just now, just the company. Not hers, of course. A cheerful person, with easy laughter and a cultured, elegant kind of voice. Aurelie didn’t know how to place her accent, other than different from what she’d heard so far. She wondered what that was that she could hear, and if the two things were connected. A carefree laugh, an elegant way of speaking. The carriage, all of it.

What, Aurelie wanted to ask, too sharp by half, do you think I’m used to? That would have been unfair, and she was ashamed of herself for thinking it. She didn’t know why she was suddenly so uncomfortable. Perhaps it was the look on Aremu’s face, which wasn’t a smile or quite a frown. Perhaps it was the look, and also the fact that he said nothing, and that she felt so very out to sea. Like she was chatting with a—a visitor at Brunnhold, she thought, who didn’t understand quite what she was, or wasn’t.

”Ah, yes. It is rather—it’s very different from Br… From what I’m used to. But lovely. Aremu has been—showing me around.” Aurelie knew voice was stiff to her own ears; she hoped neither of them would notice. Say something, her heart begged, why am I carrying this conversation on? Surely you know I can’t. Her smile stayed in place, though, and she thought—well, she did the best she could. It took all her strength to leave her hands where they were, and not chew on a nail or fuss with her hair.
Aremu Ediwo

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:32 pm

Aurelie’s voice was tight and tense, and the smile on her face had gone even stiffer than before.

Aremu jerked a little when the carriage went over a bump; his head ached, as badly as it had before lunch, and he reached up to press his fingers to the bridge of his nose for just a moment.

“Oh!” Tsadha was saying, happily, her voice throbbing somewhere in the center of his headache. “Isn’t that nice. It’s really your home now, here, isn’t it Aremu?” She smiled up at him.

“Yes,” Aremu said; he cleared his throat, feeling as if his voice was unexpectedly tight in the midst of it.

“But how nice.” Tsadha smiled back at Aurelie. “There’s really so much to see! All of Laus Oma, of course – there are the botanical gardens, which are so nice, and then of course – have you gone yet to the spice market? They say it’s the best in all the world! Isn’t that amazing?”

“That’s only within Laus Oma,” Tsadha went on, smiling. “If you’re here long enough you can even go to some of the volcanoes on this island – its name is Mere Mauthua,” she pronounced, carefully, “which are all used up, I think; everyone says they’re quite safe but I’m not very sure. There’s Isla Ix, too, but – oh, I forgot! You have that lovely beach on Isla Dzum,” she smiled at Aremu. “I think it’s really just as nice as anything on Ix.”

“Are you making a long visit?” Tsadha said, smiling at Aurelie again. “There’s quite a lot more, really! You might have to choose.”

“I’m sure we’ll have time for anything she wants to do,” Aremu said, quietly. He shifted the brim of his hat a bit, looking across the carriage at Tsadha.

Tsadha wasn’t quite frowning; she looked more uncertain than anything, Aremu thought.

“Are you – feeling all right, Aremu?” Tsadha asked; she shifted, a little, peering up at his face from beneath the brim of his hat.

“I’m fine,” Aremu said, shaking his head slightly. That, he thought, was a mistake; he pinched the bridge of his nose again, and then gave it up and took his hat off. “Just, ah, a headache.”

Tsadha gasped. “Oh, your poor head!” The carriage had come to a shop; she shifted delicately across the carriage, fussing intently at Aremu’s head. “Oh, dear, what happened?”

“Just an accident,” Aremu said, evenly. “I’m really fine, just – ” he didn’t know where to go with this either, he thought, a little unhappily.

“He’s always hurting himself,” Tsadha was saying to Aurelie, shaking her head. Her eyes were very wide, and she was still sitting very close to Aremu. Her hand came and rested on his thigh, very lightly. “Why he was stabbed just last year, and then he did something just awful to his shoulder, and now this!”

Aurelie Steerpike

Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:26 am

Aurelie hadn't missed the way Aremu reacted when the carriage went over a bump, or the press of his fingers to the bridge of his nose. She wondered, sharply, if he was quite recovered enough for this after all. He'd said so—and seemed to be so, mostly, all day. A little unwell before lunch, but... She couldn't bring herself to ask her and now, in Tsadha's lovely carriage. It was one thing to—to scold him, she thought sourly, at the house when it was just the two of them, or even with Ahura around. This felt different, and she didn't want to mention it. But there was a distracted cast to her voice as she spoke again.

"I—" Was she making a long visit? She didn't know. She had no idea at all; she had thought about it, fairly obsessively, over the last week or so. But all that thinking had produced no answers, and she was content to take it one day at a time. Mostly. Content was perhaps the wrong word—she was afraid to try too hard to plan ahead, as if by wanting anything she would guarantee that it would never come to pass.

She still almost shifted her smile when Aremu answered. It would have been a soft, stupid thing. Are you sure? she could have asked. She could think of a lot of things to want to do. The botanical gardens for example. She wasn't sure how she felt about volcanoes—used up or otherwise. But, she thought, she could find out. A lot of recipes to make, and a lot of things to try, and...

She could have filled quite a lot of time, just listing off each thing, one by one.

Any chance of that smile coming to bloom on her face dimmed and died when Tsadha leaned forward, gasping as Aremu took off his hat and the bandage was visible. Those lovely painted eyes widened, fussing. She had been right, she thought, the part of her that knew what she didn't like about this. Aurelie was not particularly enthusiastic about being right; she rarely was. Her spine was terribly stiff, and she felt...

Mostly, she just felt stupid. It shouldn't bother her. She had no illusions about... about anything. They were, the two of them, friends. Friends who... who found each other attractive, she supposed, but that was all really. That was fine. She didn't know why she was surprised, or why she looked slightly away when Tsadha put her hand on his thigh. She had a talent, she thought, glancing out the window.

"Stabbed?" Aurelie was more surprised yet by that. A different kind of surprise. Her head snapped back away from the window, eyes sharp. Stabbed, she'd said. Stabbed? That was really quite the—well, she thought uneasily. He had said something when she'd first arrived, about piracy. And she wasn't stupid, not entirely; she didn't think all of those scars came from engines. Still.

"T-the, uhm. The doctor did say he would be fine, er. With some rest. I was assured," she went on, her voice somewhere between embarrassed for speaking and sharp with concern, "that he was feeling better."

Oh, bells and chimes. She hadn't meant to say that, especially not in that tone of voice. But—had it been a problem all day? While she had been wasting their time by looking at ribbons and little bits of seaglass and shells? They could just have run the errand, and. Well, the bookstore had things Aremu wanted too. And they had needed to eat lunch, but they could have left after.

She felt suddenly quite certain a good deal of things were being kept from her, and she couldn't even be upset about it. That didn't stop her from being upset, but she thought... Of course. She wasn't precisely reliable, or useful. So why would she have known? Why tell her? She shrank a little into herself, and her eyes strayed from the bandage on Aremu's head to Tsadha's pretty face with her wide, wide eyes.
Aremu Ediwo

Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:44 am

Aremu thought, dully, that he’d said something wrong; he’d felt the edge of expectation in Tsadha’s voice, as if she were trying to imply Aurelie ought to go soon. Or maybe it was only his own fear he’d heard, reflected back at him when there’d been something at all there. His head throbbed a little worse, and he took a deep, even breath.

I mean it, he wanted to say, suddenly, absurdly. I meant it, Aurelie; that was as honest as I know how to be. Anything - whatever you want to do - he had the sinking feeling of having already failed, and he didn't think there was anything he could do about it.

Having admitted to the headache, Aremu thought grimly, had made it worse. Thinking about it further seemed to make it worse still, and yet he didn’t know how to put it aside with Tsadha fussing over him. Aurelie’s voice was very sharp, then, and Aremu’s eyes fluttered closed for a moment.

“Stabbed!” Tsadha said, wide-eyed. “During the Dzum’ulusa festival last Yaris. It’s really a very – very rowdy sort of night! I mean, there are always parties, of course, and I can’t imagine anything should happen at the festival hall of all places, but – one has to really be very careful on the streets down by the wharf. Not in Aposadi’opib’oqaw, of course, it’s very safe, but really, it’s very frightening to think of ruffians with knives.”

Aremu’s jaw was clenched, just a little; that, he thought, grimly, was not helping his headache either. He regretted telling Tsadha anything of it; he’d regretted it almost immediately, but she’d noticed both new scars – the one on his arm, he thought, was hard to miss, although it had been his side she’d fawned over.

“I’m fine, really,” Aremu said, looking at Tsadha and fitting something like a smile to his face. He glanced over at Aurelie as well, and then looked back across the coach, as if the strange little sailor bear might have answers for him. “It’s feeling better already.” Fine, he thought, was truthful enough, if perhaps stretching the edges of it. That, he knew, was distinctly a lie; even he knew that. He wondered if Aurelie and Tsadha did, either of them; Tsadha, he thought, did not. He couldn’t quite bring himself to look at Aurelie, and her intent, frowning face.

“I know!” Tsadha clapped her hands together, lightly; Aremu flinched, and tried very hard to pretend he hadn’t, and found he was still too much of a coward to look directly at Aurelie.

Tsadha beamed at Aurelie. “We’ll explore Arip’dzoqiq together,” she offered, cheerfully. “Ada’na Filene is just at the beginning of the street. The fitting shan’t take long, and then there are so many lovely little shops. Aremu can take a little rest in the carriage; I’m sure that will help.” She smiled up at Aremu, soft and a little melting.

“I don’t…” Aremu cleared his throat. “I don’t think that’s necessary, Tsadha, thank you.”

Aurelie Steerpike

Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:42 am

Aremu was unwell, and she should be kinder. He didn't need her fussing—Tsadha, Aurelie thought, was covering that area quite well. Her surprised question hadn't, truly, been an invitation for elaboration. She was as much surprised to hear it mentioned so casually, although she didn't know the whole of the incident. Last Yaris they hadn't yet met—which struck her as a funny sort of thought. Not funny in a way that led to laughter, but distinctly odd.

Last Yaris, she had been... Well, certainly not doing anything like that. Ruffians with knives, indeed. "It is, yes," she agreed uncertainly. Aurelie found she couldn't quite picture it. She was sure it was frightening, but in a remote way. A bit like being worried about drowning while never having lived near the water. Not many ruffians with knives inside Brunnhold's strong red walls, at least not in the places she was allowed to be. The advantage to the place, she supposed. It was very safe. From that sort of thing, at least.

Aremu hadn't much looked at her, and Aurelie couldn't help but think she had done something wrong. She should have been friendlier, nicer. Or not been so sharp, at least. Even if she knew from looking at him that as he went on to assure them both that he was fine—that he was doing better—that Aremu Ediwo didn't know the meaning of the word. She had known that before, really, when they had stumbled back after the storm in the first place.

If he wasn't feeling well, she thought miserably, they could skip the fabric store entirely. The idea wasn't without appeal to her. She was keenly aware then that what she would have liked to do was to stop, perhaps, at one of the many little cafes they had passed, or one closer to their destination even. They could have sat, and had water maybe, or... or something like that. That was a selfish desire, more focused on how she wouldn't feel so distinctly miserable if they weren't here, now, than anything to do with Aremu and his injury. Even if she did think that might be helpful.

Tsadha clapped, and Aremu flinched. No, he was not fine. Not at all fine. No matter what, she thought firmly, they were not going to the fabric store. Not now, anyway. She wouldn't argue with him if he really wanted to, at least not... not with Tsadha here. There was the twitch of a smile as she thought she might just be more inclined to do so if it was just the two of them again. She didn't know when she thought she could be so bold.

"Oh, well..." Aurelie frowned, shifting in her seat. It wasn't that the idea was entirely unappealing; Tsadha did, truly, seem like she was... was nice. At least Aurelie hoped she was, if Aremu—surely she couldn't be too awful. And it might have been pleasant, in other circumstances. If she weren't busy feeling so stupid. Aurelie thought about saying yes, despite her misgivings.

Aremu said no. Aurelie was relieved, unreasonably. It loosened something in her spine. If he hadn't—even if he just hadn't said anything at all—Aurelie would have put her discomfort aside. In case a rest in the carriage was what he needed. She would have put up with more than discomfort if that was what he needed. But he said no, and she selfishly chose to believe him. Despite knowing that his word couldn't be trusted when it came to his own health.

"T-that is very, ah, kind of you to offer. And it sounds, uhm—another time, maybe, I... Er. I would hate to keep you from, ah. Other plans." She could have winced. That was graceless, but she truly—she thought of going with Tsadha to her fitting, and suddenly recalled going to the dressmaker's with Ana. No, Aurelie wasn't eager to... repeat that experience, with a stranger no less instead of her own dear sister. "Unless you... Are you quite sure you don't want to sit here for a while...?"

She directed the last question to Aremu, her voice soft now. Not sharp at all. Truly, she tried to say as she looked at him, truly. If you'd like, if it would help... She would put up with anything.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Muluku Isles”

• Information