[Closed] All of This Turbulence

Open for Play
A large forest in Central Anaxas, the once-thriving mostly human town of Dorhaven is recovering from a bombing in 2719 at its edge.

Tom Cooke
Topics: 87
Race: Raen
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Notes & Tracker
Writer: Graf
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:01 pm

Uccello di Hurte Aloft
Evening on the 25th of Yaris, 2719
H
onest, if you can force them to be direct. He thought of Uzoji’s graceful way, and then of…

His mask was full of hairline cracks. Tom didn’t know what his face was doing anymore; he was afraid he’d lost Anatole. His glance flicked between Capaldi and Niccolette, fixed itself on Giordanetto at his side, the profile with its proud chin and smiling dark eyes. Those eyes never left Niccolette for long. All those years, she repeated, and he thought she must’ve cast a spell, though he’d heard no Monite; surely the captain wouldn’t step into it, he thought, wouldn’t step through the door she’d opened.

All those years your husband was alive, he said, and Anatole broke completely. Tom couldn’t help but shut his eyes for a moment, mouth set thin and brittle, the lines on his face deep and tired.

But when he opened them, she was looking at him with a smooth, broad smile, and her green eyes drew his back, and he had nowhere else to look — and he felt her field like a wall of vivid color, and for a moment, he grinned. He wasn’t thinking of food. He was thinking of Giordanetti’s silvery little scar, and what others he might have, and the thought didn’t turn his stomach; he’d lost his appetite awhile ago.

“I look forward to it,” replied Tom, smoothing his face out into another polite little smile, “very much, Mrs. Ibutatu.” By then, Fernando was rattling in again, a thin layer of sweat on his brow. He hadn’t noticed it at first, but now, it dawned on him: the chef’s little dance to get them in order, ’cause of how the captain’d sat; first Vauquelin, then round to the widow, then the two officers.

Tom finished off his glass with a careless-long draught, lips twisting faintly. His cheeks were burning, and he must’ve been red in the face. He didn’t realize the captain was looking at him ’til he heard the name, Anatole, and he turned, and he burbled something and smiled, and the hiccup gave way.

He breathed in the mingled scents of fruit — fruit and cold cheese, sweet and bitter rind — and tannic, sour wine-breath; the captain was laughing again, at something or another. The fruit went, scarce-eaten, and was replaced by some sort of pale, sweet-smelling custard, topped with an even sweeter sauce — scarce-noticed, except when Tom cut a little crescent and found it more yielding than butter.

All the light’d faded from the windows, and now it seemed to him they were no windows at all. The phosphor light shivered over the cream, and the cream shivered. Suddenly he could feel the creak of it under his feet, like the sighing of an unsettled sleeping beast.

He heard Anatole’s voice less and less, and he ached with the effort of pulling it out of himself. It should’ve been a relief, stretching his aching legs to move back to the study, leaving the uneaten cream and cloying fruit and wine behind. As he got to his feet, he had to catch himself on the table; he felt the groaning underneath him, and he felt his stomach turn, but there was nothing to fix his eyes on but the phosphor lights that moved with the Uccello. He recovered himself quick enough, running his hand back along the heavy table, but he knew it was too late.

The stars were at least fixed, bright out the window, bright as they’d been on the deck. He gave them a longing look, even as he felt Giordanetto’s strong hand on his shoulder. His back ached. His lip twitched, and he stifled the urge to jerk himself out of the other galdor’s grip.

“I, ah,” he started, looking glassy-eyed at the captain, at Capaldi. He trusted himself for one last look at Niccolette, fear spiking up through his gut, sharpening his eyes. But she met his look with a little smile like a secret, and his brow knit, and he nodded. He said softly, “Yes, thank you, Isidore, Mr. Capaldi. I should, ah – I should like to retire.”

Tom heard the lock click on the door behind. In the narrow dark hall, he could hear his breath loud in his ears. He hadn’t looked back, not at the captain or at Niccolette. He could hear something behind him, occasionally, soft, but it was swallowed up by the creaking boards of the ship, the footsteps, the rushing in his ears.

Capaldi didn’t take his arm, not exactly. They moved down the hall slow enough, and Tom felt the brush of his hand occasionally on his elbow, or his shoulder, or his forearm, if the wind tilted the Uccello too far one way or another. His back ached, his hip tweaked with every shift, and he felt sick as a banderwolf fed on sweetmeats – but he could feel the muscles in his legs adjust to take the weight, and his bones bore it well.

He’d expected the captain’s second to say something, anything, but they moved down the hall to his door in silence. “Good night, Incumbent,” he said finally, when the door was open a crack. He bowed, deep and respectful.

Tom stared at him in the dark. There wasn’t much light to see by, but he could see the glisten of his eyes; he couldn’t read his expression. “Thank you, Mr. Capaldi,” he said. “Give the captain my apologies.” He’d meant it to sound neat, polite, but he could hear the broadness in the vowels, the faint slur. He could hear the rough, tired scrape of it.

“Of course, sir.”

Tom sidled in and shut the door behind him. He leaned back against it, resting his head against the wood. His stomach gave another lurch. It was a few moments before he heard boots creaking back up the corridor, and even then, he didn’t move, though he felt untethered in the dark, as if he lay in a fishing-boat tossed by the waves.

He brought himself to a little while later; a little light drifted in through the shutters, and when he fixed his eyes on it, it didn’t move. He licked his teeth, tasting the clinging dark stain. Something like shame drained through him, though he was scared to give it a name.

When he slipped back out into the hall, he scarce knew what he was doing. His fingertips wandered, danced across the wood on one side; he could feel something through the sleek wood, something subtle but there, like pained breath. Rough patch of air, he thought, and the thought was crystal-clear in his swimming head – rough flooding patch of air, my erse – and even if he knew himself paranoid, he found himself creaking back down the hall, down to the door he knew was the imbala’s. He halfway-regretted not doing it earlier.

He leaned on the doorjamb for a few seconds, pressing his palm to his forehead, catching his breath. He could feel a headache coming on; he felt like laoso. He rapped gently at the door, then called, “Ada’xa Ediwo,” soft-like, then more rough, “If you’ve a moment, Ada’xa Ediwo, a moment to…”

The words dropped off, bounced down into a chasm of silence. Tom heard nothing on the other side. His chest felt strangely tight. Nothing to be done. He shot a look back up the hall, back down it; the ship rocked, and he felt himself pushing back against the wall, felt his knees shift. He swallowed. Nothing to be done. He turned, then paused, then looked down in the dark at his feet.

He leaned there, staring, and strained his ears. Then he started in the other direction. The kitchen at the end of the hall was empty and dark; Tom could see slices of starry sky out the tiny windows, and he stopped, briefly, to stare. But then he kicked himself, and turned down a side door on a guess, groping his way breathlessly down a twist of creaking stairs. He felt the air grow hotter on his face. The wine in his throat felt stuck; it was as if it’d congealed like blood.

It was a shuffling’d drawn his attention. Not like boots creaking confidently on the boards, or even like a man scuffling his soles and dropping clumsy-like. As he went down, he heard other sounds, too soft to’ve made their argument through the cracks between the floorboards: breathy gasps, like love or fear or pain.

Faint warm light drifted up, and Tom smelled something burnt. “What the flooding hell’s going on down here?” he snapped, just as his shoes creaked the bottom step. He squinted through the hazy dark, his pulse loud in his ears as his eyes adjusted.

Tags:
Aremu Ediwo
Topics: 24
Race: Passive
: A pirate full of corpses
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: moralhazard

Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:58 pm

Night, 25th Yaris, 2719
Uccello di Hurte, in the skies over the Tincta Basta
Aremu had been working on the diagram for the better part of several hours. He’d had ideas for modernizing the plantation’s irrigation system for some time now; he’d meant, he thought ruefully, to get these plans down months ago. But what they had had seen them through the rainy season and now much of the dry, and it was late in the year to make any changes. Before the next flood, he decided; things were calmer, now, and once he was back on the Islands for longer, he would get some of the men to rearrange the pipes.

He glanced down at the diagram, pressed his right wrist against the page to keep it steady, and carefully erased a line – tried another turn, instead, and nodded to himself. More efficiently, he thought, setting the pencil down. It was funny how much depended on water when farming on an island, but one learned quickly that no matter how bad a drought, sea water couldn’t cure it. There were methods of purification, but the scale wasn’t suitable for agriculture.

Such thoughts were pleasant, and easy. Once, Aremu thought – three years ago, he’d thrown himself into learning these things with everything he had; he had wanted, he thought, to take the trust Uzoji had offered him and repay it tenfold. He had wanted the place in the Islands not to be his friend’s act of charity and kindness, but a job he could be worthy of. He’d never imagined –

Aremu looked back down at the diagram again, and went back to sketching the contours of the fields, with slow, careful lines. He added a small legend at the bottom of each map, one by one. Not so different, he thought, building diagrams for fields as opposed to engines. It was still a matter of finding the pattern and following it.

There was an ache, somewhere, in his stomach; Aremu took it, and put it away. Better, he thought, glancing up at the darkness shining in through his window, the faint trickle of stars – better to be hungry and safe. He’d known worse pain than an aching stomach. He was not a boy, now, uncertain where his next meal would come from, desperate to fill himself to bursting when he could. There would be plenty of food for him on the islands; he could bear a few more hours without.

The ship groaned, and shifted side to side.

Aremu’s eyes flickered to the walls. He set the notebook down, slowly, shifting it off his lap and onto the cot. He rose, and held in the middle of the room. He waited; he waited, as if he had all the time and patience in the world, silent and still.

The ship shifted again, a light rocking motion, and Aremu closed his eyes for a moment. He rubbed the back of his neck with his hand, bowing his head, and waited again. Another shift – another groan, very soft, distant; hardly audible, Aremu realized, perhaps from anywhere except the kitchen.

He was moving then, shifting through the streams of starlight, shrugging his shirt on and doing up the buttons one by one, his right wrist holding it in place. He left the notebook behind him on the bed, the prosthetic sitting next to it, and he was gone; out the door, and along the hallway, towards the kitchen. Aremu held there, glancing side to side, and listened; another faint, distant groan, and he was opening a side door, and making his way down the stairs, into the hot air, towards the smell of grease and burning hot metal. Pain shot down his wrist arm and throbbed in the hand he no longer had, and Aremu gritted his teeth and pushed through it.

He was at the bottom of the stairs, then. It was a wider room than he was used to; the engine spun hot at one end, and Sostratos was close to it, sweating heavily, stripped down to his under shirt. The Bastian’s head snapped up, and his face twisted at the sight of Aremu.

“You,” Sostratos snapped.

Aremu gritted his teeth, and held at the foot of the stairs. “I’m sorry to have to disturb you,” he said, and bowed – just a little, not so deep that he didn’t take his eyes from the young engineer. “Listen to me, please. I can help you.”

Sostratos stiffened. His whole body went taut and tense, and red crackled through the air around him, dark, filling his field; it mingled with the heat steaming off the engine, and seemed to echo through the entire room. “You, help me?” He spat. “You pathetic striping scrap! Haven’t you cost me enough?” His face twisted, furious. “Gods damn you!”

Aremu pressed his lips together. They already have, he thought. “I’m sorry, sir,” he said, quietly, his eyes drifting to the engine behind the other man, then back to the Bastian. “All I want is for us to keep flying.”

Sostratos’s hands were shaking, then; he clenched them into fists. “Everything is fine,” he said, and his voice cracked.

Aremu looked at him, and took a step forward – slowly, one, then the next. “It’s not fine,” he said, gently. “You didn’t vent it fully, did you? Earlier?”

“Stay back!” Sostratos snapped, and he snatched up a heavy wrench, gripping the handle with two hands. “Stay away from me, scrap.”

Aremu stopped, then, and held, standing in the middle of the engine room, his face set. “We’ll crash,” he said, gently. “If the fuel venting system fails badly enough, the engine’ll overheat, and we’ll go down. You know it, Mr. Sostratos. Let me help you. Please.”

“Damn you!” Sostratos’s hands were shaking on the wrench. Yellow had crept into his field; it shifted red again, deep and dark, and the next words that emerged were not Estuan, but monite.

Aremu tensed, expecting –

There was a feeling in the air like a rubber band, strained to the limit; Aremu inhaled, sharply, and he felt it snap.

Sostratos was keening, then, groaning; he dropped to the ground, shaking, his hands clutching at his head, rocking back and forth, and began to shake violently.

Aremu rushed forward, kneeling; he cradled the other man’s head against his thighs with one hand, carefully turning him as best as he could onto his side as Sostratos thrashed and moaned.

There were footsteps, then, and Aremu looked up, wide-eyed, at the sight of Vauquelin on the staircase. “Sir,” he said, voice shaking. He cleared his throat, glancing down at the engineer half in his lap and then back up at the Anaxi. “Sir, it’s not – I didn’t – it’s backlash, sir, he – he backlashed.” He closed his eyes, and opened them again, and looked up at the Anaxi. What kind of man would believe a liar, he wondered, and he was sorry, then, that he could not have found a lie that might have been easier to accept than the truth.

Niccolette took another sip of the grappa, and set the half-full glass down carefully. She watched Isidore, standing not too distant. He was smiling; the look, she thought, of a cat that thinks itself about to pounce.

“It is a shame, you know,” Isidore said, smiling.

Niccolette raised her eyebrows, lightly. “What is?”

“For a woman like you to be alone,” Isidore came closer, slowly. “My bedroom is just there,” he smiled, now, and reached, gently, to trace his thumb over her cheek. “If you’d like to – ”

Niccolette slapped his hand away. “Is that it?” She asked, eyes narrowing. She picked the glass up, and stepped away from him; she drained the last of the grappa, looking at Isidore. “Really? You wish to sleep with me?” Niccolette crossed her arms over her chest, fingers tapping gently against the glass, lips pursed.

Isidore shook his hand out, and he grinned at her. “You’re a magnificent woman,” he said, smiling. “Surely you’re used to appreciation.”

Niccolette’s gaze flickered over him, up and down. She frowned. “You know who hired you,” she said.

“I do,” Isidore smiled. “I know more than that.”

“Tell me, then,” Niccolette said, meeting his gaze. “What is it you think you know?”

Isidore came closer again, slowly, so that she felt his field lapping at the edge of hers. “I know something of your husband,” he said, voice low. “I know you were pirates, together. I know you cast on him, or so the stories go. You must be lonely, without him, by yourself. It must be hard, terribly hard, to sleep alone – to drift, aimlessly, without his guidance.” He smiled at her, softly; the two of them, in his small study, bathed by the moonlight.

“Come with me,” Isidore urged, softly. He reached out for her again, slowly. “Let me be your captain. I’ll marry you, if you like.” He stroked a lock of hair from her cheek, gently, tucking it behind her ear. Niccolette held very still, as if he might sting her at any moment.

Niccolette felt her breath catch in her chest, looking up at him. “Is that what you think he was?” She asked, softly. “My captain?”

“Of course,” Isidore said, smiling. “We’re different men – I wouldn’t fill his shoes, I understand that. I’m not much of a pirate myself, but I can offer you direction, somewhere to use those skills, someone who can, with your help, be great…”

Niccolette’s breath caught again; she felt it ripple up, slowly, in her chest –

And the widow began to laugh. She laughed so hard she felt tears trickling from the corners of her eyes; she turned away, gasping for breath, and laughed harder, half-doubling over with the intensity of it.

Rolls
Sostratos's spell: SidekickBOTToday at 8:35 PM
@moralhazard: 1d6 = (1) = 1
Tom Cooke

Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:50 am

Uccello di Hurte Aloft
T
he stuffy, wine-dream of dinner was nothing to the heat that hit his face down here. This was a heat you took into your lungs, a heat thick and rich as soup on your tongue. And with it, the laoso tang of sweat, the rough dirty smells of oil and hot metal and something burnt. Tom fumbled off his collar, tugged his tie looser. As his eyes adjusted to the dim light, he scarce knew what he was looking at.

He saw the engine first, at the far end; he heard it, underneath the keening and the groans. It froze him to his spot. He felt the Uccello give another low lurch, felt himself sway, and he clutched at the doorframe with one hand. He’d never seen one before, much less in motion. If you looked at it long enough, it almost seemed still.

Sir, a familiar voice was saying. He flinched reflexively. He tore his eyes away, down to two shapes crouched in the middle of the big room.

Aremu and Sostratos. Aremu sat cross-legged, and the younger engineer was almost in his lap — it was surreal; Tom almost couldn’t parse it — stripped to an undershirt stained dark with sweat, thin curls plastered to his forehead. He was jerking strangely, making little pained noises in his throat. Staring at him, Tom could barely comprehend what the imbala was saying.

Backlash. There was a funny, strained feeling he knew in the air; he could feel the static mona unsettled, even through his porven. I didn’t, he was saying. One hand was turning his head gently. The other, Tom only glimpsed in passing, in the low light, though he looked for it; he couldn’t help himself. No wooden hand. The light shivered briefly over a scarred stump. Something in his gut tightened.

He kicked himself, moving carefully out into the room. He half-paused when his porven brushed the strained mona of Sostratos’ field, but there was no time to think about that — or anything. Forcing his mind blank, he knelt close to the imbala and the Bastian, wincing as his knees creaked. He braced a hand on the floorboards.

“Great fucking lady,” he breathed. He looked down at Sostratos’ face, pale and glistening with a sheen of sweat. He looked up at the engine, spilling heat like a woodstove in the gloom. His eyes went back to Aremu, and a jolt went through him; the imbala’s face was closer than it’d been in — close enough that the sharp line of his cheekbone was blurred a little.

He looked into those wide dark eyes, and he wondered. It hurt him, he remembered, worse than the recipient. Without any mirror, any liquid, for it to spill out into, all of it’d press itself on his mind and he’d be in worse shape than Sostratos. So he’d said. Tom looked away.

Sostratos wasn’t jerking anymore. He’d’ve thought the Bastian was still as death, if not for the twitch of his eyelids, the faint gleam of spittle at his lips. He looked made of wax. Careful, Tom settled his fingertips underneath his jaw, where he could feel a flickering fast as insects’ wings. He licked his lips, shifted on his haunches, looked back toward the engine, and then back to Sostratos.

What happened? he knew he couldn’t ask; he knew there wasn’t any need. He imagined what could lead a man like Sostratos to backlash. He might’ve been casting on the engine, his field bleeding anger and shame, asking too much of the mona and with too frantic a tongue. He might’ve; Tom pictured him at breakfast, the feel of his field like the egg all over his shirt. But he could also hear Sostratos’ voice echoing sharp in the back of his mind, scrap, and the look he’d given Aremu at the table. He didn’t want to make the imbala say it; he didn’t want to make him lie, either.

Instead, he started to shrug off his jacket, wrestling one arm and then the other out of the sleeves with a wince. “Here,” he grunted, once he’d folded it up with shaky hands, offering it to the imbala. My brother, he half-wanted to say, when we were lads; he had the falling sickness. “There’s nothing I can do for him. I’m not — Mrs. Ibutatu is upstairs, with the captain,” he explained, trying not to grit and grind his teeth. “I’ll vouch for you, if it comes to it. Whatever happens.”

Whatever happened, he thought and didn’t say. He looked up at Aremu again, then, bracing himself. But whatever he’d been fearing didn’t come; his back ached like fire, and his heart pounded loud in his ears, and it was like looking at any other man. He studied the imbala’s face.

“This can’t be normal,” he said. Are we going to go down? was another question he wanted to ask, and equally pointless. “He didn’t – what was supposed to happen, after breakfast. It didn’t get done, did it?” he asked softly, with a bitter twist of a smile.

He was unbuttoning his sleeves meanwhile, trying to will his hands to steadiness. He rolled them up to his forearms and tried to breathe steady.
Aremu Ediwo

Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:27 pm

Night, 25th Yaris, 2719
Vauquelin was silent, watching him. In the half-light of the engine, with slats of darkness across the room, Aremu couldn’t read anything on his face. He came closer, shifting between the darkness and the light, and with every change of light Aremu tried again, tried to make something out of the way the darkness carved deep into the lines on his cheeks and forehead, the way the light illuminated the slight frown at his lips.

He paused, for a moment, about five feet away, distant enough that Aremu couldn’t quite feel the field that hung in the air around him. Just out of the range where –

Aremu looked down at the engineer in his lap. There isn’t time, he wanted to say. The ship – he didn’t think it would help. He was conscious of how absurd it would sound, said aloud; there’s no time to worry about the galdor, sir. No, I didn’t attack him; no, it wasn’t my diablerie. The heavy wrench was lying on the floor not too distant.

Vauquelin came closer, and knelt beside him, and Aremu looked back up at him; he could hear the other man’s knees creak, see one shaky, veined hand resting against the hot ground. The incumbent cursed, looking down at Aremu’s lap, and back up at his face. Aremu met his gaze, unhesitating. Call me a liar, he thought, if you will. I won’t look away. He didn’t; Vauquelin did.

Aremu closed his eyes for a moment. When he opened them again, when he looked down, Vauquelin was feeling for Sostratos’s pulse beneath his jaw with thin fingers; the light caught the faintest dusting of red hair against the backs of them, thin and fraying. The Bastian was pale, drained, with a little foam at the edge of his lips, his moustache even limper than it had been that morning. I wanted to help you, Aremu wished he could tell him. He understood; he knew what the Bastian saw, when he looked at him. How could he – how could anyone – see anything different? Aremu couldn’t.

Vauquelin had been silent too long, and Aremu didn’t understand why. He’d’ve expected – the incumbent should have been demanding answers from him, should have been – unless, Aremu thought, tiredly, his head aching, he’d already decided that no words would make a difference. His gaze flickered to the engine; his jaw tightened. Now? he wondered. Should he tell him now?

And then the incumbent was pulling his jacket off, and – Aremu settled Sostratos’s head back in his lap, and reached for it with a confused frown. He – the imbala caught his breath; he knew his mouth was open, just a little, and he closed it. Foolishly, idiotically, he thought of arguing; why would you do that, sir? But he could feel the disarrangement of the mona in the air, Sostratos’s field weak and fraying and still oddly taut, Vauquelin’s humming steadily against his nerves. I know you can’t, he wanted to say; but you will again, sir. Don’t –

“Thank you,” Aremu said, looking at the incumbent; he knew he was still frowning. He was holding the folded coat; he set it down on the ground, and carefully eased Sostratos from his lap with his hand and his wrist, shifting the engineer so his head rested on the cushion Vauquelin had offered. He thought of covering the wrist, but – it seemed like idle vanity, when there were so many more serious matters at stake.

“Not properly, sir,” Aremu felt a rush of gratitude for Vauquelin’s understanding; his whole body relaxed, for just a moment. He took a deep breath, lifting his gaze to the engine, and looking back at Vauquelin. “Sir, as I said at breakfast, I’m – ” The imbala was conscious of coming across as absurd, crouching on the floor of the engine room next to an Anaxi incumbent, one-handed, willing him to believe –

He’d believed stranger, Aremu told himself.

He took a deep breath, and began again. His history didn’t matter, his education; what mattered was – “I can fix it, sir, but I’ll need your help.” Aremu straightened up a little in his crouch, and realized Vauquelin was already rolling up his sleeves. His gaze darted to them, to the thin forearms and the shaky hands, and back up to the Incumbent’s face, and Aremu felt a rush of something he could’ve named as hope, though he didn’t quite dare. The ship rocked beneath them, and the walls groaned, loud and eerie, echoing through the small room.

Aremu listened, his jaw set, his eyes darting back and forth over the walls. “There’s still time, sir. This way,” he didn’t know if it was a lie; he hoped it wasn’t. He took another deep breath, and rose, carefully; he hesitated, feeling the ship unsteady beneath his feet, and, hesitant, because he did not know how it would be received, he offered the other man his hand.

Niccolette was laughing as if she might be sick; her stomach ached. She felt it edging towards hysteria, and she managed to shut it off. Her eyes flickered closed for a moment, and she sighed. She straightened up; the collar of her dress was creased, and she smoothed it with a hand, looking at Isidore with a little smile. Carefully, she wiped the tears from the corner of her eyes, patting them away with her fingertips by habit.

Isidore, Niccolette noticed, was not smiling. His jaw was set and square; she thought she could almost hear him grinding his teeth.

“Would you care,” The captain asked, slowly, through gritted teeth, “to share the joke?”

“No,” Niccolette said, smiling a little wider; she couldn’t seem to help it. “Not really.”

The ship rocked against beneath them; Niccolette stumbled, and caught her shoulder against the glass, leaving a smear.

Isidore’s eyes darted to it, then back to her. He exhaled, and found something that looked nearly like a smile again, strained tight across his face. “One way or another,” he said, stepping closer again, “I mean to have you.”

Niccolette raised her eyebrows. “You think you can force me to cast on you?" She grinned. “I am not sure you will like the results.”

Isidore’s eyes flickered over her. “I would prefer you chose it, Niccolette. I would very much prefer that. This could be good – very good. What do you say?”

Niccolette studied him; the ship rocked against beneath them. She smiled. “No,” Niccolette said, cheerfully. “Go ahead, try to force me.”

Isidore’s teeth gritted again. He slapped her, then, across the face; Niccolette felt the sting of his hand against her lip, and she stumbled back into the window, half-losing her balance, sinking against it. She licked her lips, tasting bitter lip color and blood.

“Finally,” Niccolette said, grinning through the sharp pulse of pain in her lip. Isidore lunged forward, and Niccolette cast; one-syllable. Push. She could not do it without thinking of Uzoji; she could not do it without thinking of him at the helm of the Eqe Aqawe, grinning, soaring through the skies; she could not do it without thinking of him at Brunnhold, watching her, bright-eyed and eager, rejoicing in her victories and never claiming them as his own.

The spell rippled through the air and shoved Isidore back; it slammed him into the wall behind. Niccolette's field pulsed outwards with it, as if chasing him through the air, washing out eight full feet into the air around her, all the living mona she had gathered over the year burning bright. The ship rocked again, and the limoncello glass tumbled to the floor, and shattered, glass shards flying.

Rolls
Niccolette's push: SidekickBOTToday at 9:20 AM
@moralhazard: 1d6 = (3) = 3
vs. Isidore's lunge: SidekickBOTToday at 9:21 AM
@moralhazard: 1d6 = (1) = 1
Tom Cooke

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:04 pm

Uccello di Hurte Aloft
A
remu had moved Sostratos onto the floor, propped his head up with the bundle of his jacket. Tom had watched, silent. He hadn’t meant to; he’d liked to’ve thought he wasn’t staring. He kept expecting to see the imbala’s other hand. It was strange, to see him turn Sostratos’ cheek with the wrist, to see him use it like a tool, almost, or like an elbow, or…

My help? Mine? Tom was staring at him. Wouldn’t you rather have someone else?

He thought about offering to run for help. It was a useless suggestion and a waste of time; he bit down on it before it could come out. He knew how pathetic it’d sound, anyway, and he knew the questions in its shadow. Who? Galatas? Capaldi? There was no point. He thought of the captain’s study, locked up tight. He couldn’t bring himself to wonder what Niccolette was contending with, but it didn’t matter much right now.

So Tom just nodded dumbly.

His knees were aching by the time Aremu got to his feet. He put one fist flat against the floor, preparing himself to unfold his legs and put weight on them again — preparing himself to ignore the sharp lance through his hip — when Aremu offered him a hand. It was a hesitant motion; Tom thought he reached through his porven like he was expecting to be burned. But he didn’t think Aremu’d ever shied from a burn. He smiled faintly, still bitterly, because he could see the familiar line of an old burn scar glistening up the imbala’s wrist and under his sleeve.

“Thanks,” he offered, grabbing on. He tried not to think of the lines, the callouses, the familiar long fingers. He let Aremu take his weight, though he knew it wasn’t much, and he needed more strength than he could offset. All of those things burned in him shamefully, but there wasn’t time for pretense or shame.

As he got to his feet, the ship swayed; one of his knees went, and he stumbled. A grasping hand found Aremu’s shoulder. He leaned a moment, feeling the familiar, strong frame of him underneath his unfamiliar hand. He shut his eyes, took a breath, and withdrew. His fingertips lingered.

So be it. No time for shame or vanity. When he opened his eyes, he cast one last glance at Sostratos, lying on the floor nearby like a dead man. His limbs a limp tangle, his head on one side, sweat-damp curls splayed out under him. The engine light picked out the white muscles of his throat as they worked occasionally; his glistening lips moved. Tom yanked his gaze away and back toward the engine. He thought the heat might peel the skin from his face, but there was a cold lump in his chest.

“I don’t know shit about engineering,” he said as they started to move, “but you give me a… I can do what I’m told well enough.” He thought Aremu’d seen his shaky hand; he thought there wasn’t any chance he hadn’t.

Sweat prickled at the back of Tom’s neck, and he could feel it cold between his shoulderblades. With an irritated noise, he fumbled his tie even looser, then wrangled it off and stuffed it awkwardly into the pocket of his trousers. He undid a few buttons at his collar.

Glancing round the creaking walls, thinking of the intent look on Aremu’s face, he wondered if this was what it’d been like aboard the Eqe Aqawe. He remembered how Aremu had almost explained to him, again, how he’d studied at Thul’Amat, before settling on something he must’ve thought the incumbent could understand. Sir, he kept saying, sir, sir. Tom had never been more conscious of his — everything.

Aremu had seen him come in, demanding and wide-eyed, with an injured galdor in his lap. He had seen him look over the engine room. He had seen him see the wrench lying nearby. Would it've mattered to Incumbent Vauquelin whose hand it'd been in? Would it've mattered who started it?

He swallowed thickly, and searched for something that wasn’t quite a lie. “Ada’xa Uzoji spoke highly of you,” he said quickly, looking over and up at Aremu’s profile, limned and then dark, hazy and unreadable. “No questions, no arguments, no formalities. Please. I’ll do what I can. The – the fuel – venting? Fuel ventilation? You said?”
Aremu Ediwo

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:46 pm

Night, 25th Yaris, 2719
There was a momentary, flickering pause, and Aremu was sorry he had offered. It would have been better not to force Vauquelin to refuse, he thought; he remembered his strained, painful motions on the deck, and wondered if he should turn away, instead, and let the other man get to his feet unobserved. If he did struggle, it would be much worse to stand there, watching, both of them knowing that Vauquelin preferred the discomfort to –

The man took his hand, and Aremu was conscious of a pulse of shame. Aremu planted his feet, and pulled, and took what was offered of the slight politician’s weight. He was nearly on his feet when the ship went; Aremu felt him stumble, and he felt Vauquelin grab hold of his shoulder, leaning against him, eyes shut. Aremu didn’t know what to say; all he could seem to do was to stand, still, and hold.

Vauquelin opened his eyes and eased back, and followed Aremu closer to the engines. I can do what I’m told, Vauquelin said, and Aremu felt a prickle of unease down his spine, of regret. Who was he, to order about – but Vauquelin had given him the gift of permission, had offered it implicit in one easy sentence. Aremu took a deep breath, and nodded, and took him at his words.

The Anaxi spoke again. Aremu glanced at him, sideways in the dark; the light of the engine washed hazy red through his hair and left his face a blank, shapeless mask. Uzoji spoke highly of you. To – Vauquelin? Please. He must have, Aremu thought, and he wondered why. He wished – it was hard, Aremu thought, turning to look at the engine, to be here without Uzoji. He couldn’t imagine how Niccolette felt; he didn’t want to.

“Yes,” Aremu swallowed the sir, and took a deep breath. He rubbed the back of his neck with his hand, looking at the machinery. It wasn’t so like the Eqe Aqawe’s, but it wasn’t so different either. Engines were engines, Aremu thought, gratefully, whether Bastian or Mugrobi made. It whirled and spun next to them, uncomfortably close; a shower of sparks spun from somewhere deep inside, and left a pattern of burns on Aremu’s shirt. He didn’t so much as turn to look.

“Here,” The imbala said, stepping to the instrument panels next to it. He grimaced, faintly, and was glad he’d asked Vauquelin to join him. "The system's controlled here. We'll try this first." Two heavy, large lobed knobs, next to each other. He had asked, Aremu thought bitterly. In a low moment, he had asked Uzoji if he could still – if it would be possible – he had known what the answer was and he had known that he did not want it said aloud, and he had asked all the same. And Uzoji had taken his hand, and squeezed gently, and had spared him the weight of his words.

“We’ll need to turn these, and hold the system open,” Aremu said, looking at Vauquelin. He took the one closer to the engine, resting his hand against it, and waited for the other man. “On my count,” Aremu said. “One, two, three – turn.”

The knob fought him; it strained. They both did. Aremu twisted it, and held against the rattling, vibrating pressure of the engine, held the system open, and listened. The engine was whirling against him; he heard a deep, and distant rattling, growing louder.

“Let go!” Aremu called. He released the knob; something snapped through the ship, and jerked them. Aremu grabbed hold of a handle on the wall and held, shaking, careful to keep his body between Vauquelin and the spinning, grinding engine. He felt the heat of it wash over him, and he closed his eyes for a long moment. Not since – he thought – not since –

The ship steadied out. Aremu took a deep breath. “I’ll need to – “ his eyes dropped to the floor, beneath the grinding gears, to the small hatch there. The imbala didn’t bother saying the rest of it aloud.

Aremu set about stripping his shirt off, undoing the buttons carefully one by one. When he had it open, he paused, and rubbed his right arm with his hand, grimacing faintly to himself. Niccolette had never been able to explain why it hurt. He thought of it like a ghost: his own hand, haunting him. Almost funny; he’d never shared it with anyone, though, because he wasn’t sure it’d be funny aloud.

Aremu shrugged his shirt off and folded it with his arm and his hand. He was streaked with sweat from the heat already, and he knew it’d only get worse. Better to risk a burn than to catch on the gears beneath the engine, better to – better, Aremu thought, firmly, not to think about it. He knew what pattern he had to follow; he’d do his best.

“Can you hold them both?” Aremu asked, looking at Vauquelin. "If not, there's... I can try to tie them open," he glanced around; there was rope on the wall, and he thought - perhaps. If it snapped - with him inside - Aremu's whole body tightened, and he eased his mind away from such thoughts, and turned back to Vauquelin again.

Isidore had groaned as he hit the wall. Niccolette had not heard the sort of crack that would indicate broken ribs, so she supposed that he was only winded – but he was winded, at least, doubled over, breathing hard.

Niccolette waited, smiling patiently, standing at the window.

Isidore rose half up after a few moments, breathing hard. “You – you fucking whore,” he spat through bloodied lips, the words straining. He must have bitten his cheek, Niccolette thought, from the sound of his words. A shame; his tongue would have made things easier. She could see him trying to breathe in deep; she could see him failing.

Niccolette stepped to the side, carefully – once, twice.

Isidore gritted his teeth again, and came towards her, lunging forcefully across the room.

“I thought you would cast!” Niccolette said. She grinned, and pushed again; with the angle, the second pushed hurled him backwards through the door into the dining room; he crashed into the table in a mess of china and glass and wine, dark, half-illuminated by flickering candles and distant starlight, with a crunch that suggested the table had not been as kind to his ribs as the wall.

Niccolette came closer, then. Isidore was groaning, bright red mixed with the dark purple of the wine. He blinked, dazedly, looking up at her as she stood in the doorway.

“Do you know,” Niccolette said, casually, checking her nails and looking down at the captain. “I really did think about what would be best,” she sighed, crouching down and studying him. “I could, of course, break your legs. Your spine, perhaps. We are quite skilled at the healing of the legs and arms, the ribs – even the small bones of the spine. But the spinal cord? The nerves which run from the brain all the way down to the lower back – once severed, there is a very narrow window when it can be reattached. After that? Well, it quite depends on where it is cut. High enough, and you lose all of your motor function, forever.” Niccolette raised her eyebrows.

Isidore was groaning, weakly; frothy blood was pooling at the corner of his lips. He looked up at her, and Niccolette saw yellow spreading in his field. Like urine, she thought, pleasantly.

“It would be quite easy,” Niccolette said, smiling. “If I ever see your face after tomorrow, even for a moment, I shall not hesitate. But,” she shrugged, and rose. She stepped back, and then back again.

Niccolette inhaled, deeply, and began to cast.

Rolls
Niccolette's push v2: SidekickBOTToday at 1:31 PM
Niccolette's second spell: SidekickBOTToday at 1:31 PM
@moralhazard: 1d6 = (5) = 5
Tom Cooke

Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:03 pm

Uccello di Hurte Aloft
S
parks! They left a pattern of pinprick burns on Aremu’s shirt; Tom could see them faintly in the dimness, like stars in reverse. Closer, it was even hotter. He wiped the sweat from his brow with a shaky hand, and he tried to focus on Aremu’s face, his words. His vision swam; his mouth was dry, and a headache was knocking its fist at the base of his skull. He wondered if it’d’ve been this hard when he was alive, when he was a man. He didn’t think the incumbent had spent much time around this kind of heat, but neither had he.

He thanked every god in the Circle the imbala’d stopped calling him sir, and he was glad, if a little sorry, invoking Uzoji’d worked. Face set grim, he nodded once, then twice, then studied the control panel, squinted at the knobs through the heat and his headache. We’ll turn these, he said. Was this what the imbala needed help with? Why couldn’t he just–?

It only hit him when Aremu moved round to take one of them. He didn’t dwell on it; he couldn’t, ’cause the imbala was putting his body between the incumbent’s and the spinning, searing-hot engine. Don’t, he wanted to say, you’ve only got one to use up, I’ve got many – as many as I can take before I burn out – but there was no way to make him understand.

And because he didn’t have time to think whether he could or couldn’t, he took hold of the knob and, on three, he turned. At first, it was so heavy he thought he wouldn’t budge it. He strained harder, ’til he felt something laoso pull in his back; he braced his feet against the floor and pushed ’til he thought he’d break. He didn’t think about the feeble-weak feeling in his arms, the muscles that’d atrophied from twenty-five years of sitting at a desk and writing, twenty-five years Tom hadn’t wanted or had a hand in. He didn’t think, though he knew it when he hit the wall: he felt the white-hot pain streak through him, and still he held, ’til he heard: Let go!

The ship wrenched, and he fumbled against the wall with his sore hand. He managed to scrabble himself upright. A bleary Aremu shivered into his vision, clinging to the handle, his eyes shut. This close to the engine, the soft light played strangely beautiful in his features. Tom noticed the shadows of his eyelashes on his cheeks.

He didn’t say anything when Aremu spoke, though he followed his eyes down to the hatch. When he looked back up, the imbala was starting to unbutton his shirt. Again, Tom noticed how he held it in place with the – wrist. Sagging ashen against the wall, he looked away, down at his feet, over at the knobs, to try and give him privacy. But in the corner of his eye he could see the imbala’s long fingers – pianist hands, he thought, unbidden; he’d never’ve thought that, in his old life – he watched them tackle one button at a time, quick but careful. When he had finished, he paused, massaging his right forearm.

And it was now he began to understand. Aremu folded his shirt delicately over one arm, as Tom’d seen him do more than a dozen times, but one-handed this time. The light glanced over all his long muscles, streaked with sweat; it glinted in scars old and new, familiar and unfamiliar.

But Tom was empty of shame, and he didn’t think there’d ever been anger to begin with – not any kind of anger that wasn’t just shame covering its erse. Or maybe it’d never been shame, after all. Hollow of everything, barely able to think, all he could feel was a dull, aching regret.

When Aremu asked, he replied almost immediately. “I can’t.” He forced himself to speak loudly, to enunciate clearly. “Hold them both. I wouldn’t wager your life on it.” He’d never wanted to say I’m sorry more to anyone else.

He followed Aremu’s eye to the coil of rope, hanging on the wall nearby. The floor wasn’t bucking anymore, and it wasn’t hard to hobble just a few steps and yank it off; he offered it to the imbala matter-of-factly, but without looking him in the eye. His arm was shaking. “I’ll hold one while you tie it, but that’s all I’ve got left in me,” he said.
Aremu Ediwo

Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:26 pm

Night, 25th Yaris, 2719
I wouldn’t wager your life on it, the incumbent said. Aremu nodded. He started to move for the rope, but Vauquelin was already there, moving like his entire body hurt, small, hobbling steps. Aremu took one to meet him, and nodded. “I would appreciate it.” He said, quietly.

He looked at the knobs, carefully, and wrapped the rope around the first of them, taking a deep breath. He tied it, then, looping it once and twice around the lobes, on one side and the other, and used his elbow to press against the rope as he pulled it taut, as hard as he could. He stepped back, then, looking at the length of rope and the other man, and thinking.

After a moment, Aremu stepped forward and looped the rope around the second knob as well, carefully; he pulled tightly enough that the rope burned against his palm, and he brought his right elbow into it as well, straining, and then he looped it around a handle not too far distant.

“When you’re ready,” Aremu said, looking at Vauquelin.

Aremu turned the knob with the incumbent, straining. Wiith both of them working, the rope took a little of it; he’d tied it tightly enough that the knobs wanted to go together, almost as badly as they wanted to stay closed. Aremu was grunting, painfully, shifting; he dug his right elbow into the nod, and pushed, his whole body straining, and reached his left hand out, wrapped it around the rope, and pulled, as hard as he could. He pulled as if his life depended on it, and he tried not to think that it did.

“Let go,” Aremu gasped.

They did, both of them, and the rope held – and the knobs too, turned sideways, straining against the coils. There was something rattling and groaning in the ground beneath them, a sound like wind whistling angrily back up.

Aremu didn’t hesitate; no questions, he thought; no arguments, no formalities. He half-ran to the engine, and dropped, wriggling on his stomach to the hatch beneath the scorching heat. There was a hissing sound, and the smell of burning skin, but faint and brief and then the hatch was open, and Aremu was climbing down into the ship beneath the engine.

It was hot; it was hot enough on the rungs that he could scarcely manage to hold on, hot enough that his hand was slick with sweat, and his head swimming. He climbed, down, and down, hand moving along the rungs, feet finding the ones below without looking. He went through the first seal, and then down further. Between the first and the second, there it was; some piece of metal which never should have been there. Aremu grunted, and kicked at it, hanging from the handles against the wall, his vision blackening in spots; once, and then again, and it tumbled loose and dropped through. His hand slipped on the rung, and he banged, hard, against the wall, fumbling, and caught himself against the rungs in a tangle of limbs, half through it.

Aremu settled his grip again, and began to climb back up. There was a breeze whistling up now, drying some of the sweat, making him shiver. He was climbing through the seal when there was a thunk from above, and it jerked half shut. Aremu yelled, voice hoarse and straining and echoing above, and pulled himself up, one leg aching. It jerked fully shut beneath him. He grimaced, planted his foot on the ladder, and reached down to touch his thigh with shaking fingers, too afraid for any expectations.

It hurt; it was, he thought, bruised. He couldn’t tell if there was blood along with the sweat, but he didn't smell anything metallic. He could move his toes, beneath, and he could have wept. It took his weight, and if it complained, it bore up well. Aremu kept climbing, climbing, back up towards the drowning heat, stretching and tearing at his skin. The pain in his leg became a constant of the climb, something to accept and look past, because there was nothing he could do. And then the engine was spinning overhead, and he was climbing out and wriggling on his stomach, breathing hard, squirming out from beneath the engine, until he was on his belly in the room.

The rope had snapped, he saw, craning his neck up. The imbala closed his eyes, and lay there on the ground, shaking, his forehead resting against the floor. His leg throbbed, and the hand he no longer had hurt, and the rope burn on his left palm stung, and something on his back prickled, too, whispering in the cold air for attention. He did not think he could stand, not yet; he just lay there, and thought longingly of weeping.

Rolls
Damage to Aremu: SidekickBOTToday at 5:10 PM
Tom Cooke

Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:09 pm

Uccello di Hurte Aloft
H
e’d known better than to feel relieved when the rope held; he’d felt it anyway, ’cause he couldn’t help it. He watched Aremu move for the hatch quick-like, grateful he hadn’t wasted time with another word, grateful and fearful all at once to see him burrow himself underneath all that searing-hot, grinding metal. He couldn’t see clearly, but he heard a hiss like oil in a pan, and he winced. The familiar smell – like something cooked on a griddle – wasn’t a surprise, but it was out-of-place and awful here; he felt his stomach flip, and he gripped a handle near the second knob, gripped it tight with all the shaking muscles in his arm ’til the nausea dropped back.

When he opened his eyes, Aremu was gone. If it hadn’t been for the faint sounds below, he might’ve thought himself alone with the mant beast.

His hand near slipped on the handle. He wiped more sweat out of his eyes, ran a hand through his damp hair. He wanted nothing more than sit cross-legged on the floor, to rest his aching back against the wall and ease whatever’d torn.

It felt like it could’ve been hours. He kept himself upright, thinking if he saw the rope start to give, he could grab both knobs and hold them until Aremu came up safe. He wondered if he’d doubted his own strength. He stared at the strained rope, imagining it slipping, snapping, imagining he could see it fray. His head burnt and ground like the engine, spinning him thought after thought; each of them branded him with their white-hot touch, so he could handle none of them for long enough to any to make sense.

And then the body, cajoling him to sink down and shut his eyes, building walls where there’d been none before. He felt heavy as an anchor and frail as a bird’s legs.

Only one stood out, and he hated it with all his shame and all its anger. Was this what it was like, he wanted to ask, after? On the plantation? And when you found out?

It was Anatole’s weakness, he told himself, when he drifted. In the warm darkness, he imagined he could see through the floor, as if he were scrying in a bowl. He was seeing Aremu climb down, down – into the bowels of the ship, a foreign landscape his mind could only half-etch for him. The jaws of a beast held open by a tower of jackstraws, the imbala removing one at a time.

He pictured him with two hands, at first; even his half-asleep mind knew it’d made a mistake, but it couldn’t reconcile what it knew. Aremu Ediwo had braided his hair with two hands. Aremu Ediwo had kept the Eqe Aqawe in the air with two deft, beautiful hands.

It was the loud thunk roused him, and then the shout – it drenched him with terror. He blinked, wide-eyed, his heart jumping in his throat. The rope was still in place, but it must’ve slipped; the knobs were halfway up.

But he was like a mouse underfoot, every muscle of his body locked into place. He felt he was breaking ropes of his own, just getting his legs to move, just propelling himself through the thick hot air. He scrabbled, Anatole’s thin fingers just managing to curl weakly round the lobes – and they wrenched themselves out of his grasp. The rope had snapped.

In the seconds that followed, Tom held one knob, sagging against the panel. He could hear his own breath, rasping in and out. He was conscious of a noise, or an absence – a noise that’d been there, that’d been constant, that wasn’t there anymore. He blinked at the engine, still shedding heat and burnt smells, and the dark places underneath it, empty. He shut his eyes, and opened them. He was alone in the engine room.

To his credit, it was a few more seconds ’til he sank down to the floor; he thought, with the part of his brain that could still think, that there might be a chance, if he opened the maw again. A chance of what? He’d thought there’d be some scream, at least, or a noise.

He sank, and his hands found his face. He pressed the heels of his palms to his eyes. They were wet; he couldn’t think why. It’s a quick way to go, a dry voice reminded him, helpfully. He couldn’t think what he was feeling, or if he was feeling anything. A shudder went through him, and he wiped more wet away from his eyes. I could’ve, he thought, once. He couldn’t finish the thought.

Tom heard something, and saw a shape in the corner of his eye. He jerked his head up, so fast he was dizzy with it. The imbala was wriggling out from under the engine, pulling himself along the floor on his belly. Tom watched, breathless, as he came to a stop and lay still.

Aremu had lay still for a few moments before Tom could make himself move. He thought he was dreaming; the shock after shock seemed almost cruel. “Shit,” he croaked, then, and he let out a frayed, mirthless laugh, and scrambled to his hands and knees. “Are you all right? Thank the… thank…”

It didn’t take him long to reach the imbala’s side. He was alive; he’d stirred at the sound of his voice, as if to get up. Tom’s eyes flicked over him – whole – though there was a scuff at his back that looked like it might’ve needed attention – he nearly reached out to clasp his shoulder, to –

Tom saw Anatole’s hand; it jumped away, and he was conscious of his porven in the other man’s space. But he couldn’t care as much as he should’ve, not with the relief flooding through him. Bracing one fist on the floor, he struggled to his feet. “That – needs,” he started, and ran out of breath. “Can you walk? We need to get you upstairs, to – ah, godsdamn, I'll break down the door if I have to," he breathed.

He grabbed onto a handle, then offered the imbala his hand, even though he didn’t know how it would be received, insistent and unhesitating.

Aremu Ediwo

Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:44 pm

Night, 25th Yaris, 2719
After the heat of the tunnel, the engine – the floor felt cool against his face. Aremu shuddered, his forehead firmly against it, and closed his eyes, and tried not to think. Adrenaline, he thought, feeling the shaky, pounding pulse in his ears, the sudden weakness of all his limbs. Only the ghost hand wasn’t shaking. Aremu could have laughed, then, but he knew it was no better than crying.

He was laying flat out on the floor; he still couldn’t seem to move. It wasn’t the weakness in his limbs; it was the weakness in his mind. He knew it, and he tried to bring himself to look at it head on. His leg hurt; not the sort of phantom, ghostly throbbing beneath his right wrist, but a real, vicious pain where the near-closing of the shaft had pinched him. His back hurt too, a more familiar ache.

Aremu closed his eyes again, his shoulders shaking. He could feel the heat of the engine blazing against his bare feet; it washed up his legs, and over the skin of his back. His head was oddly cool; the sweat that had streaked it was drying, and he shivered, trying to reconcile the two states of being.

Vauquelin’s deep voice was a strained croak, and that surprised Aremu as much as anything he’d actually said. He hadn’t thought – he hadn’t thought of what it must have seemed like, from above. He couldn’t think why Vauquelin would have – he pushed the thought away, gently, and dismissed it as unfair. Vauquelin had been nothing but kind; Vauquelin had been more than kind. He shifted, but it was a little more than he could manage just then to push himself up, and Aremu let himself have a few more moments, aching in many places he could name, and even more he couldn’t.

He felt the rasp of the incumbent’s field against his nerves, and he could have wept with joy; it swept over all of him, irritating everywhere it touched, and Aremu let out a frayed, croaking laugh of his own, his throat beyond dry, impossibly sore. His eyes closed another moment.

He shifted, slowly; standing still felt beyond him, but Aremu found he could ease himself up onto his knees, and then his elbows, so he was crouching instead of lying flat. “I can – I can walk,” Aremu said, shakily, through his aching throat. He couldn’t bring himself to lie and say he was all right, not just then.

Aremu looked up to see Vauquelin’s delicate, slender hand. He took it with his, his right wrist propped against the floor. He couldn’t have said how he got to his feet, not just then; there was a confusing blur of aches and motion and he knew he stumbled, and Vauquelin’s arm was shaking, but at the end of all of it, Aremu was upright. He was breathing, hard, harder than he should have from the exertion alone, but he was standing. He pressed his foot into the ground, carefully; pain shot through his injured leg, but he was still too relieved to mind.

“Upstairs,” Aremu agreed, weakly, even if he didn’t follow more than half of what Vauquelin had said. His back ached; his head throbbed with the heat, and all he could think was of getting away from the grinding, spinning engine; all he could think of was wanting a breath of fresh air.

They went, then, together up the narrow, winding stairs, leaving Sostratos behind on the floor. At some point he’d smoothed out, shifted, and he looked more asleep than unconscious. Aremu wasn’t sorry to leave him.

Aremu stepped into the corridor at the top of the stairs, shaking. His shirt, he realized, a moment later. He’d left it behind. He glanced down along his right arm, to the bare wrist at the end; he reached to put it in his pocket, but the motion made all the muscles in his arm burn with the strain, and he couldn’t bring himself to bother. He stumbled a few more steps forward, slumping against the wall, leaving Vauquelin space to finish the climb, his eyes fluttering shut.

There was a loud banging noise from down the hallway, a steady thumping.

“Isidore!” Capaldi’s voice called, loud and tight, wavering. “Isidore, open up!” Another loud banging.

Aremu stiffened; something cold ran down his spine, and he was off, hurrying along the hallway, his injured leg dragging, but his pace quick and effortful, his eyes fixed in the distance.

Capaldi turned, and frowned, heavily at the sight of the imbala. “What, by the gods’ names, are you – ” he stared at Vauquelin, behind him, his mouth faintly open, then turned back to the door. He rattled the handle, and grimaced.

“Niccolette?” Aremu called. He looked at Capaldi, and he didn’t yield; and after a moment, the Bastian stepped back. Aremu went to the door, and knocked on it, a careful delicate rhythm; the one she found, with her breaths, when she meditated. He waited, there, shaking.

The door opened after a moment, and Niccolette stood, looking at them in the hallway. Her collar was creased, and there was a trickle of blood from a swollen cut on her lips, as bright as the color around it, a faint trace of it spilling down her chin.

“What – ” Aremu’s eyes lowered to it, and then back up to meet hers, and he frowned.

“Nothing,” Niccolette said, with a pleased smile. She looked him over, and it was her turn to frown. “Go and sit,” she told him, sternly. “I shall have words with you soon.”

Aremu shuddered, and it took him a moment to realize he was laughing. Niccolette pointed at one of the chairs in Giordanetto’s study. Aremu smiled at her, and nodded, and went; he found a chair where he could sit, facing the window, and he slumped into it, and let himself watch the stars.

“Incumbent, do join us,” Niccolette said with a smile for Vauquelin.

Then, and only then, did she turn to Capaldi. Aremu listened, smiling slightly, and he let his eyes close; he could see the stars just as well on the back of them, maybe even better.

“Captain Giordanetto is indisposed,” Niccolette was saying, smiling still. “He shall remain so until we have arrived at the islands. Control spells are a specialty of mine, and paralysis, while unpleasant, is harmless.” She paused, and Aremu knew without watching that she would have shrugged. “Usually.” Aremu could hear her smiling.

“You,” Niccolette said, coolly, “shall oversee the rest of the flight. I expect a smoother journey than we have had. Good night, Mr. Capaldi.” Aremu heard her shut the door.

Niccolette was there, then, crouched in front of him, her face set in a frown. “And what have you done to yourself?” She asked. She took his hand in hers and turned it over, and tutted at the sight of the rope burn on his palm.

“My leg, I think,” Aremu said, tiredly. He looked down at his thigh, and grimaced at the sight of the ripped fabric over his leg. Niccolette eased it apart, carefully, and pressed her fingertip against the bruised skin beneath.

Aremu groaned, and jerked, and pressed his head back against the chair. “Ow!” He said, and laughed. He sat up a little more, looking around.

Niccolette grinned. “I shall fix it,” she rose, and pressed her lips to his sweaty forehead. “And that mess on your back."

The Bad Brother looked at Vauquelin, and raised her eyebrows. The room was well-ordered, but for glass shattered on the ground, two delicate limoncello glasses knocked to bits – but for the mess of glass and china and spreading wine and something brighter from the dining room – but for Giordenatto, lying sprawled out in the mess of it, utterly still – but for the faint, occasional, flickering of his eyes from side to side.

Niccolette lifted her skirts, and stepped delicately past Giordanetto. She returned a moment later, with a bottle of wine in her hand, the name 'Villamarzana' in script across the label. She set it down, and glanced around; there were whiskey glasses, in the cabinet, and Niccolette set them down delicately next to the bottle, and looked up, at Aremu first, and then at Vauquelin. The stars, Aremu thought, were shining through her.

"Would anyone like a drink?" Niccolette asked, and she smiled.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vienda”

• Information