[PM to Join] Prodigal

A heartwarming father-daughter reunion.

Open for Play
The Six Kingdom's most prestigious university and the de facto cultural capital of Anaxas.

The Stacks | Ghost Town | Muffey

Tom Cooke
Topics: 87
Race: Raen
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Notes & Tracker
Writer: Graf
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Tue May 19, 2020 6:00 pm

The Golden Rose Tea Room Two Falls
Afternoon on the 4th of Bethas, 2720
T
here was an unpleasant curl of a smile on her face. He pushed down another wave of discomfort, and again the urge to run his fingers over his own. He looked away toward the bookshelf when she spoke; he found himself terrified she’d see it in his eyes, what he felt, though he knew his Rooks face was better than that of most men. It was easier to feel a squeeze in his heart at those words, looking at the books, and at the gilt red copy of Mircalla sitting on the arm of the chair. In the corner of his eyes, she was just a haze of a pale face and dark curls, and his heart squeezed tighter.

“I’ll accept that responsibility.” He found a laugh somewhere, and it didn’t come out as bitter as he’d thought it would. Diana, he almost added, would hardly care.

He forced himself to look back. Cerise was looking down at her bowl, but she hadn’t moved to pick it up or take the spoon again. There were still a few chunks of potatoes, a few glistening wedges of mushroom poking up out of the hearty broth.

You should eat, he wanted to say. Come on, lass, you’ve had nothing.

No. The word was a jagged riff. He’d prepared himself for it; he held and waited as she ran a hand through her mane of curls, falling all about her head now in a cloud.

Then it was all half-sentences, starts of one and finishes of another. He looked down at her bowl, lips twisting as he sucked on his tooth. So you weren’t lying, he thought. Would you have told me, if there were? Do you even want me there? He couldn’t figure out what she wanted, after all; it seemed to’ve dissolved into the steam from the tea and the two comfortable chairs, blurred into all their talk and all his exhaustion.

Outside, the rain pattered the window. Sish, much like a cat, had heard something of her mistress, had rolled and wiggled herself up and crawled back into Cerise’s lap. He could hear the pinpricks as her claws dug into fabric, and, he thought, skin. Cerise’s face didn’t register it.

The travel team, he thought. What in hell was she suggesting? It settled into place, like a piece in the puzzle; had all this – all this – been to tug at his heartstrings, to get him to sponsor her? Or whatever it was she’d brought up back then to pull the rug out from under him with Burbridge?

There was color in her cheeks. She shrugged. Mugroba, he remembered again, and swallowed a lump.

“The travel team?” he asked, and found himself leaning forward slightly to take his own teacup. He reached for the teapot, then. “Tryouts?”

He paused, his fingertips perched on the handle.

He poured himself another cup of tea. He hesitated; the spout drifted over to her cup, but didn’t pour. “I’m not very much like I was,” he said softly. “We don’t have to talk about it, if you don’t want to, but you came and got me, and I’m sticking around for as long as you want me.”

There was no point in saying he wished he had got to see the other matches; it was a bald-faced lie, with where he'd been less than two years ago, and a patronizing one in this voice. He asked himself if he wanted to see her duel now, and he didn't know how he felt about the answer.

Tags:
Cerise Vauquelin
Topics: 8
Race: Galdor
: Emotions Like a Balled Fist
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Cap O' Rushes

Tue May 19, 2020 7:59 pm

The Golden Rose Tea Room, Two Falls
Bethas 4, 2720 - Afternoon
A lot, she thought again. A lot. Something twisted; she was grateful she could feel the slight rise and fall of Sish's breath under her hand.

"The travel team, yes." She tried not to frown; she tried not to make any kind of face at all. She drew a breath. Her father started to pour himself another cup of tea. The pot was drifed to her cup. He held it there, but did not pour for her. Another breath in and she nodded, pushing the cup a little closer so it would be easier to reach.

Not very much like he was--that seemed to be an understatement. A change in personality, she could almost have accepted. That at least she was finding she didn't mind as much as she ought to. After all, here they were, weren't they? But all she could think of was "a lot", and how much that seemed to contain.

Liar, she thought--after this lunch, she had the strangest feeling he would never see her again. Or Ellie either. A year, a whole year. A lot was so much. Mama and her and Eleanor too, probably. So did she even want to keep having this conversation?

"I'm trying out for the travel team this year, for the inter-school tournament," she began. "It's--" Cerise paused and frowned. "The competition is very selective, but it's the best choice if you--if you want to be a professional. After graduation." Cerise looked up then from her cup, as if to dare him to say anything about her aspirations.

"But if I--when I make it onto the team, we... All of the Kingdoms participate. Maybe..." She shrugged her shoulders again, as if she didn't care one way or another if he wanted to come. She didn't need anybody to come to any of her matches. It was fine; soon she'd graduate and then plenty of people would come to watch her duels, because she'd be a professional. The best--she would be the best.

Why had she said something so stupid? No matter what he'd forgotten, she didn't think he really wanted to come. If he wanted to come, he could have asked at any time. If he cared about anything she did, she wouldn't have had to come storming into a party a museum just to make him acknowledge her existence.

That, she thought sourly, was probably part of why he had offered. Maybe he had forgotten, maybe he didn't know that there were no matches for the next few weeks. Likely he did, and he just wanted to play at being a proper sort of father after forgetting to for so long. She curled her fingers around her mug. He did not actually want to come, and she didn't want him to.

"If we were to compete at Thul'Amat, and you still wanted to come... I could let you know."
Tom Cooke
Topics: 87
Race: Raen
Plot Notes: Notes & Tracker
Writer: Graf
Post Templates: Post Templates

Wed May 20, 2020 4:27 pm

The Golden Rose Tea Room Two Falls
Afternoon on the 4th of Bethas, 2720
H
e poured the tea in, careful not to spill a drop. With his fingertips on the lid, he set the pot back on the table with a few delicate rattles. He didn’t settle back with his own cup rightaway; he made himself watch her face, looking down into her tea, and he listened.

He had the sense again that he ought to’ve known what travel team was. Burbridge’s Brunnhold boys, he supposed, and the Crowley lass she’d been talking about. He wondered if Anatole would’ve known; he wondered if Anatole had cared. If other men’s eyes were a mirror, there was a mirror across from him – right now – looking up through a tangle of dark hair and a fringe of dark eyelashes and a pair of chilly, light grey eyes. And he didn’t know what she saw; all he saw was anger, and a wanting for something he still hadn’t figured out.

Professional clocking dueling again. It was true he’d never been to an organized duel; really, he’d only ever been to one duel – the one he’d arbited – and the way it’d ended hadn’t seemed terribly professional to him.

He hadn’t ever, he supposed, been to a professional match of anything, unless you counted the Rose Arena, and he wasn’t sure if underground brawling was to be considered professional. This, he’d always thought, when he’d even cared to think about it, was the stuff of gollies: cricket, fencing, even those thrice-damned bicycle races that would tear through some of the nicer streets in the Rose during the autumn, a thicket of fields and funny pants soaring over the stones.

But dueling? She was looking at him like she expected him to protest. He didn’t know a godsdamn thing about it. Maybe Anatole hadn’t approved; he supposed that was likely enough, though he didn’t have a sense of how realistic – or likely – professional dueling was, for a young jent. He didn’t have a word to say, though he nodded, very slowly, and took his small steaming cup and settled back with it.

If I – when I. He’d been looking down into his cup; now he looked up at Cerise’s face, and a smile sprang fair unbidden to his.

Maybe, she said, shrugging. “When you make it,” he offered, with a nonchalant shrug of his own, “if you’ll let me know – I’d be grateful.”

It was only after he’d said it that he remembered where he was, who he was. It was like this – it had been like this, all flooding afternoon – suddenly he looked down and saw the hands on his cup, felt the weight of what he was, looked across at her – felt the strange prickling embarrassment of the resemblance.

Tom had never known what it was like to be told, without any warning, you’ve got a boch you didn’t know you had. (He wouldn’t’ve, now, would he?) He’d known men that rued it for the rest of their lives, and he’d known men who’d dropped everything for the lad or lass – and the lady, sometimes. This wasn’t what it was like; this was much, much stranger. But he wondered, now, what madness took such men.

There was no way out except through, here of all times. If he shook her off, if he snapped and sent her away – he didn’t know why it’d be so hard; it wasn’t as if he knew her – she might come back and bite him later; she might, anyway.

“I board an aeroship on the nineteenth,” he said, and paused. “The hotel’s booked already; I’ll make sure to give you the address.” He hesitated, sucking his tooth again, setting his teacup on the table as he thought.

Sish was snoozing away in Cerise’s lap, apparently unperturbed. He watched the miraan’s flank rise and fall, then glanced back up at Cerise.

If you don’t make it, he was halfway to saying – but she had brooked no doubt, and neither would he. Instead, he smiled, taking Mircalla back off the arm of the chair and opening it up again to the first page, again flicking past the blanks. His smile settled into a frown of concentration, and he took his reading glasses out of his waistcoat and settled them on his nose.

In the corner of his eye, he watched her; he wouldn’t ask her to eat more, much as he told himself he didn’t care what she did. He wasn’t sure what more he could say – he had already promised his sponsorship, for better or worse – and he wondered if he should’ve left her in peace by now. He wondered, too, if there might be something in sitting here quiet-like and reading her book.
Cerise Vauquelin
Topics: 8
Race: Galdor
: Emotions Like a Balled Fist
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Cap O' Rushes

Wed May 20, 2020 7:27 pm

The Golden Rose Tea Room, Two Falls
Bethas 4, 2720 - Afternoon
The look she had given him after she had declared her professional aspirations had been a test. No, it had been a dare. To see if he would say anything to her this time, although he'd said nothing back at the museum when she'd brought it up in front of Incumbent Burbridge. Cerise remembered suddenly the way he'd looked at her when she brought up the fighting. Does Cerise Vauquelin prefer to fight with her fists? And the way he'd seemed so amused when he'd asked.

There was no comment. Just a nod, and he settled back in his seat with his cup. Steam curled up from it and she imagined it obscured his face a little. Not enough for her to miss the smile when she corrected herself. Not enough for her to miss, either, how similar their faces were. She always wanted to see more of Mama when she looked in the mirror; she rarely did.

Was he sincere, or wasn't he? Anger sprang up; she couldn't tell. I'd be grateful, he said, smiling at her. Then looked right back down to his cup again like he regretted saying it. Make up your mind! If he didn't want to come, he didn't have to lie to her. She wouldn't be hurt by it.

She was ready to snatch the words back and spit them out. Bite them right off. Loftily, she would say, nevermind--I don't think I want you there after all. Or something else like that, to make it clear she knew he'd lied to her and that he didn't want to see her compete. That this was all some kind of weird game. Maybe someone told him fighting with his oldest child was bad for his career, or something like that. Her lips had pulled back from her teeth when he continued and she held off.

"Oh." The thin mouth, so ready to form a snarl, was trapped halfway there. "Sure. Uhm. Yes. I'll--I'll let you know then. If you give me the address." Cerise stopped, unsure. He could always not send her the address for his hotel in Mugroba, of course. It just seemed--she didn't know why he would bother to say it at all. Any of it. She wanted to smile; she tried to frown, and found she couldn't quite manage it.

Whatever face she was making when he looked from Sish, sleeping peacefully on her lap, back up to her face... Cerise tried not to dwell on it. Whatever it had been, he smiled and picked up the book again from where it had been set aside. Then put his glasses back on and just like that, started to read the book in earnest.

There was nothing to be happy about, she told herself. For one thing, it didn't matter if he wanted to see one match or a hundred. She could invite him and he still probably wouldn't come. She might not make the team at all; for all that she had played at bravado, she wasn't sure. The competition was stiff, it was always stiff. And this was her last chance; it was either this or... or she didn't know what. Gior, maybe. Nothing felt much more clear to her now than it had that morning. If anything, it all seemed blurrier around the edges than it had. The smallest smile wormed its way onto her face somehow anyway.

Her soup was still unfinished on the table in front of her. And her tea, too. Outside the Golden Rose, the rain hadn't stopped. It seemed quieter, though, less driving than before. She leaned forward, careful not to disturb the sleeping miraan. There was a quiet scrape as she picked the bowl back up. The spoon spun around and shifted to the other side when she tilted it. Maybe she would finish it after all, since they were still here. Cerise picked it up, leaned back, and took a bite.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brunnhold”

• Information